SENIORS HELPING SENIORS!
Photo: Senior Flash Mob under the Reno Arch. July 24, 2014. Photo by: Alex Moreno
Next SCAC meeting will be held on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 at 10 AM at Evelyn Mount Northeast Community Center 1301 Valley Road Reno, NV 89512. For more information please contact Alex Moreno @ 334-2262 or email@example.com
PurposeThe purpose of the Senior Citizen Advisory Committee (SCAC) is to advise the City Council on matters relating to senior citizens, to promote and support senior-oriented special events and collaborative efforts that meet the needs of seniors, and to serve as an advocacy body on behalf of older adults in the community.
Members and MeetingsThe Committee consists of the Committee Chairperson and a maximum of eight (8) other members who are appointed by the Reno City Council, along with an ex-officio from the Washoe County Senior Services. The meetings usually take place on the 2nd Tuesday of every month (unless there is a government holiday) and approximately last 1.5 hours.
Meet the Committee!
- Identify concerns, problems, and needs of seniors in local neighborhoods
- Establish program priorities within context of available resources
- Provide long-range program direction for comprehensive senior programs
- Help identify local resources to enhance or expand senior programs
Agendas and Minutes
Past Agendas and Minutes.
The committee supports a variety of projects through advocacy, requests for special funding and member involvement.
The Committee encourages applications for co-sponsorship by the Reno Senior Citizen Advisory Committee. For more information on how to apply, please contact Darryl Feemster, Senior Services Liaison at 334-2262 or Alex Moreno, staff at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please review the following links (Please note, in order to request for funding, you must provide evidence that your organization is a non-profit 501(c)3 and note that the funding given must ONLY GO TOWARDS HELPING SENIORS LIVING IN THE CITY OF RENO.
Senior Citizen Advisory Committee application for sponsorship
A few of the Committee's past projects include the following:
- Senior Fest
- Reno/Tahoe Senior Summer and Winter Games
- City of Reno- various Senior Activities
- Soap for Hope
- Center for Healthy Aging
- Older American's Month
- Sanford Center for Aging/Senior Outreach Services
- Nevada SHIP- State Health Insurance Assistance Program
- Alzheimer's Association
- Honor Flight
- Wandering Project in Washoe County, NV
- Compassion Community Clinic